Monday, May 3, 2010

Confessions of a Fiberholic -- Maryland Sheep & Wool, part 2

So I decided to return for a second day -- and what a contrast from Saturday! On Sunday, the booths that had been too mobbed to even get into Saturday were open for leisurely browsing. Of course, that means that I bought more, but not so very much really.



The spectacular blue Tess Merino Petite is for a Nancy and Judy Shawl - after seeing the designing wearing hers on Saturday, I knew I had to make one. And the Tess yarns come in such nice big hanks that I'll be able to knit the entire shawl with no extra ends to weave in.

As for the Socks that Rock, well ... I know I didn't need any more sock yarn, but there was no line to get into the booth, and no wait to pay, and that color was so pretty, that I just lost my head.

Of course, it wasn't all about buying more. One of the main reasons I went back was to watch the Sheep to Shawl competition. Having seen this competition twice now, it still amazes me that it's even possible to go from unshorn sheep to finished shawl in only 3 hours, but these amazing teams pulled it off. I've got lots of photos, but here are just a few.

A nice fluffy Corriedale ready for shearing,



a half shorn sheep,



and the spinners from Mount Vernon.







And now ... only five and a half months until Rhinebeck!

No comments: